This would have severe effects on the more than 100 million Americans who have private health insurance today:
* The government would mandate not only that you must buy health insurance, but what health insurance counts as “qualifying.”
* Health insurance premiums would rise as a result of the law, meaning lower wages.
* A government-appointed board would determine what items and services are “essential benefits” that your qualifying plan must cover.
* You would find a tremendous new disincentive to switch jobs, because your new health insurance may be subject to the new rules and would therefore be significantly more expensive.
* Those who keep themselves healthy would be subsidizing premiums for those with risky or unhealthy behaviors.
* Far more than half of all Americans would be eligible for subsidies, but we have not yet been told who would pay the bill.
* The Secretaries of Treasury and HHS would have unlimited discretion to impose new taxes on individuals and employers who do not comply with the new mandates.
* The Secretary of HHS could mandate that you provide him or her with “any such other information as [he/she] may prescribe.”