I’m working up a second run of PHP framework benchmarks on more powerful hardware than the last time. I’ll talk more about that in a future entry, but in the mean time, I wanted to share an experience that may help you out.
I was running the ab (Apache Benchmark) tool against Zend Framework, Solar, and Cake, using the minimalist “hello world” applications I described the previously. The ZF requests/minute were consistent between runs, always “Z” amount (plus or minus a couple percentage points).
But the Solar and Cake requests/minute declined considerably from run to run. For example, the first benchmark run would yield “X” requests/minute; the 2nd run would yield 0.93X, the 3rd 0.85X, then 0.75X, 0.64X, 0.52X, and so on. This was with the opcode caching turned on; without it, the decline was less severe, but it was still there. Very depressing.
Because I know Solar better than I know Cake, I started looking around the codebase for places to improve. Was it the way I was loading classes, thus causing the opcode cache to work inefficiently? Was it a memory leak in Solar, or PHP itself, or maybe in the web server somehow?
Nope: it was sessions.
Solar and Cake each call
session_start() on new requests. Because the “ab” tool sends a new request each time, the frameworks start a new session each time. This means that 1000 requests will generate 1000 new session files. Because the benchmarking makes thousands of requests, the /tmp directory was overflowing with sess_* files (50,000 or more). Having a very large number of files in a single directory was causing the filesystem to drag, and so response time diminished exponentially over time.
Notice that Zend Framework did not have this problem, because it doesn’t have a session-management class; thus, no sessions were created, explaining why its performance stayed consistent from run to run.)
The solution (for benchmarking purposes) was to force the session ID value to ‘abc’ by calling
session_id('abc') command at the top of the Solar and Cake bootstrap scripts. This makes the script think there’s already a session in place, and so it doesn’t create a new file. Once I did that, the diminishing responsiveness disappeared, and I got consistent results from run to run.